E.B. and Bertha C. Ball Home
Built in 1907, originally named Nebosham, this was the home of Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Ball. The home has been beautifully restored and is used for educational programs but is also available for scheduled tours.
Ed’s Glass and More Factory Outlet
Artist Paul Moore Fireflies was sculpted in 1995 and was cast in bronze. Paul Moore is a Fellow and Board Member of the National Sculpture Society. His work is in the U.S. Capital Collection and the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, both in Washington, DC. His sculptures have been collected by numerous municipal, corporate, private and international institutions.
Five Points Fountain
When Hermon Lee Ensing of Philadelphia died in 1899, founder of National Humane Alliance, he bequeathed money to place throughout the United States a series of water fountains for animals. By 1911 about 130 fountains had been erected in cities in 44 states. The granite fountains featured a bowl from which horses could drink as well as water spouts near the ground for dogs and cats. Originally placed at Five Points (Ohio, Kirby Macedonia, Burlington and Windsor) it was restored and moved to Heekin Park and rededicated in 1971.
Fountain of Joy (Rabbit Fountain)
The Fountain of Joy (or Rabbit Fountain) was originally located on the south side of the Frank C. Ball home, Minnetrista. It was moved to the home of Alexander and Rosemary Bracken after the 1967 fire. The fountain was given to Minnetrista in April 1998. It is currently displayed in the garden at Oakhurst. The fountain was created in 1916 by Helen Farnsworth Mears. The statue is marked: “Helen Farnsworth Mears fecit 1916.” (“Fecit” is Latin for made.)
The bronze sculpture of the chubby-cheeked little girl dangling two frogs by their feet and smiling up at the sky has become legendary at Ball State over the years as a good luck charm and a popular meeting place.
She was cast by the late American sculptor Edith Barretto Stevens Parson (American 1878-1956) between 1917-37. Muncie industrialist Frank C. Ball donated the sculpture, and she resided in the Ball State University Museum of Art for many years.
In the past, campus legend had it that if you rub her nose, you would have good luck on your next exam. However, with so many students caressing her nose, she became damaged and was packed away.
In 1993, Frog Baby was restored and placed in the middle of a fountain built on the north side of Bracken Library. The fountain is dedicated to the late Alexander M. Bracken, son-in-law of Frank Ball and a key player in Ball State’s rapid growth after World War II.
No one rubs her nose anymore, but students sometimes bundle her up with scarves and hats in the winter.
Fruit Jar Club
William H. & Agnes Metzger Ball built one of the first homes in what became known as Westwood, a housing development in west Muncie. In 1939, the Balls attended the World’s Fair in New York. There they saw a wrought iron gazebo which was designed by an artist working for the Nashville Foundry in Nashville, Tennessee. The gazebo won first place in the category “Best Cast Iron Work of Art” at the fair. The Balls purchased the gazebo. The gazebo was given to Minnetrista and is now the focal point of the rose garden.
George McCulloch Memorial
A bronze sculpture by Leonard Crunelle (1872-1944) cast in 1915 and dedicated October 31, 1917. Base is of polished pink granite.
Gordy Fine Art & Framing
Seasonal watercolor classes for adults taught by award-winning Indiana Artisan, Brian Gordy.